Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Florida Revival - or Deception

A short time ago I got an electronic newsletter with an article about a revival happening down in Florida. I read the story with great interest. It would be wonderful to have God pouring his Spirit out upon his people. Stories of miracles abounded. More material followed from different sources. I actually watched a news story (yes – the press actually reported on something going on in church!) about the outpouring. Then I watched a video of some of the action. An aura of skepticism descended upon me. The man leading the revival, Todd Bentley, spent a lot of time yelling and playing up a miracle that a woman testified to. It was more like a carnival/circus environment than a tribute to Jesus. A man divided against himself is very uncomfortable. After watching this I was involved in an internal tug-of-war. I went on like that for a couple of weeks until I ran across a website called The Revival School ( www.revivialschool.com ). I read a lot of informative posts concerning the Florida "revival". I was even able to get a book written touching on it by Andrew Strom entitled True and False Revival. I read that book immediately when it arrived. I was no longer divided. Strom makes a clear cut case that what is happening down in Florida is not designed by the Lord. One thing to consider however is that God still might be working on some people in the midst of that mirage.

Ironically, I had a chance to participate in the Toronto outpouring back in the 90's. Coincidentally my company sent me to Toronto on an assignment at the same time my local pastors were visiting in Toronto. That was enough of a sign that I needed to attend one of the meetings to propel me into action. The service started at 7:00 PM. We left around 2:00 AM. My pastor was inflected with "holy laughter". He couldn't stop giggling. I was almost completely untouched by the experience, except the fact that people barking like dogs gave me much fuel for my skeptical fireplace. The dogs and other wild animals are being manifested down in Florida as well.

It is wonderful to see people seeking the Lord and wanting to be with Him. In this type of scenario, however, I had to question whether people were seeking God or seeking experiences (can we read signs here?) Jesus said it is an adulterous generation that seeks a sign. That always gives me pause to think – especially when I want to lay out my own personal fleece.

This situation leaves me in a state of confusion. How can two factions of the Lord's body be so diametrically opposed? What is going on here? This passage of scripture was mentioned more than once: Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect. Scary words. But words that need to be heeded. How do you judge this situation? Compare what Jesus taught with what is happening in Florida. Who is getting the glory down there? And who is reaping the financial benefits? And are the miracles being reported real?

I could go on here and talk about this situation but I feel others are much more qualified to speak on the subject. What I will say is that I'm convinced that the end is approaching. Everyone has to decide for himself/herself where truth lies. I just pray that you don't make such decisions hastily and without due caution. So check out the Revival School and read about revival which involves personal penitence, Godly sorrow, and holiness. God does perform miracles – but not on demand in the center ring of a circus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely on some of these so called revivals that turn out looking like a 3 ring circus and how foolish it makes God's children look.

I am interested to see the scripture references for dogs barking and uncontrollable laughter and some saying they are drunk and acting like it. I could not believe some of these things and I don't ever remember Jesus doing any of these things and never heard HIM or HIS disciples that HE was teaching instructing them that when the Holy Spirit comes they will bark like dogs, have uncontrollable laughter and other ridiculous manifestations.

Also, I have not heard Jesus speak prosperity messages that we will receive lots of money if we do this or that. In fact, Jesus says just the opposite that it is harder for a rich man to enter into heaven than a camel to go through the eye of a needle.

pamela